Within the summer months, some children and their parents take advantage of the enriching experiences summer has to offer: summer camps, time with family, trips to museums, parks, libraries, etc. Yet for many children, when the school doors close, so does their access to educational opportunities. They are placed in front of a television, ipad, game boy, with little to no stimulation.“
Asset #25 – Young person reads for pleasure three or more hours per week.
With this being said, for the month of May I invite all of you to celebrate Asset #25 Reading for Pleasure. Encourage, inspire, and introduce your students to fun and engaging ways to read. Get them stoked on reading, while offering summer resources for parents. Below is a list of ideas, activities, games, projects surrounding reading.
- Reading Readiness Game
- Reading Bingo
- Design a puppet show about your favorite book
- Place bookmarks in the library
- Read children’s poems
- Play sherades, while acting out your favorite book
- Read and Draw Picnic
- Ask your parents to host a summer reading club
- Interactive games
- Don’t forget about math and science!
- 11 Children’s Books About Nature
- 14 Kids’ Books About Trying New Things
- Books to Inspire Kids to change the world